Smoke has now been home three weeks and since our weather has been uncooperative it has been very difficult to get him out especially now that it gets dark so early.
Three weeks ago Hubby picked Smoke up from the trainer gal - he had been there for two months. She hadn't indicated having any trouble with him and had taken him with on a trail ride the weekend before. While Hubby was there she saddled him and rode him in the arena - good to go!
It was a week later that the weather straightened up so out came Smoke! We had issues that day - he seemed to be very nervous and attempting to saddle him was not an easy accomplishment. I was very puzzled since there was no indication of having trouble with him from the trainer and saddling him would have been one of the first accomplishments. Puzzled? This day wasn't a very good experience but ended on a good note.
Smoke's next outing was limited for time so I brushed him down and then lunged him - this he did just fine! Maybe he just doesn't like me!
I was hoping this weekend would be of good weather -- I needed to make some progress with him. He was tied in the round pen while I gathered all the tack. Saddle blanket on (he wasn't to sure) he seemed nervous but was willing to stand in one place. Then the saddle - he seems like he just isn't sure so I placed it on him waited a moment or two and removed it.
Then again....The second time around was pretty similar but I was determined to get this done! Saddle on - now if he will just stay still so that I can get it all cinched up and then we can see what he's got. Untying the cinch made some noises he didn't really care for and this whole time he hasn't liked when the stirrups come down to the sides (not even gently) -- Well that is an issue!
Saddle on, all cinched up now he's ready to be lunged. He wasn't a happy camper!
Lungeing went fine - no problems with the saddle. And I even took turns on each side putting the stirrups on the horn and letting them fall to the side --- previously to this it would make him jump, on edge and made me wonder what his deal was! Now he just stands there.....
Nobody was around to take pictures but we had an excellent day! - After the lungeing I got up in the saddle and whew -- we just walked on out like we have done it every other day!
Peculiar - but I'm happy and yes I will need to call the trainer just to visit - hopefully our weather will hold out the next couple of weeks so that I can get some more time on him. We will stick to the round pen the next few times and then graduate to the field. Very funny...because he didn't seem nervous or jumpy once after he was all saddled up.
It will be interesting to see if the "boss" has to get through to him each time we saddle up ---

Whew - hope he keeps getting better at that getting saddled up! Spose the lunging before even saddling up will need to be done first every time.. Keep up the good work, and be careful.
ReplyDeleteKeep on him..he will come around.. If you ever need someone to take photos..give me a call! Do you know how boring some of my afternoons are? :)
ReplyDelete