Our farrier is a young guy (maybe not so young any more) - when he first started for us he was single and now he is married and has two special little girls that he always shares pictures of.
I wouldn't say he is a real cowboy but cowboy is defined as "one who tends cattle and/or horses" -- So yes I guess he is a real cowboy! But then when my husband does our horse chores - he could be tending the horses and that makes him a real cowboy? Anyways, the farrier does have a cowboy hat in his truck and he drives a big Dodge diesel - it is dirty from the dirt roads he travels. And he does have horses - in fact one horse is a half-brother to our, Ace. So he could be a real cowboy! But today it was the warmest day of our summer, it reached 90 degrees or more with not much of breeze. The farrier had on shorts with his chaps and his work boots not cowboy boots. You decide - is he a real cowboy? Would have made for interesting pictures...
My pictures are limited for this section because of a lack of a photographer.. I was busy holding horses while the farrier did his work. Ace was a bit anxious and thought farrier was taking too long -- good ole' boy Jack was extremely lazy and almost tipped over twice. I told him there was no excuse for him not to be able to take a "turn" around a barrel at full speed he is obviously still capable. The other two horses, Chili and Rusty, seem to do better but then the breeze died down and the flies got bad.
I went to work this morning and left around break time since the farrier was coming mid-morning. I debated on whether I should just slip on my boots and go (which would be faster) or if I should change into my jeans.
Well good thing I changed into jeans - it was getting pretty warm by the time we were done. Then it was back home to change into those dress clothes and back to work leaving the horse smell and dust behind.
I'll see farrier in another 10-12 weeks when he does the same thing over again. He always shares his "Cowboy Wisdom" - for me to pass on to my hubby. See hubby use to do the horse holding so I think a whole lot of conversation happened also -- Farrier always has "Cowboy Wisdom" for me to relay to my hubby (they are jokes - which I try to remember).

I think if he has a 10 gallon hat on or in his truck...he is a real cowboy!
ReplyDeleteSo, you graduated to being the horse holder, wtg, L.
I sure miss seeing you and your family riding in various horse shows. It was always so much fun, let us know if you are doing any this summer or fall....g